Description of the page content
Website engine written in PHP.
Project developed from 2009-10-30 to 2014-12.
Simplilo is what many people call a CMS (Content Management System), while others (me too) prefer the more logical term proposed by Richard Stallman: WRS (Website Revision System). But Simplilo, by its design philosophy, lacks many features of such systems; a more suitable term for Simplilo is website engine.
Simplilo is the engine that powered programandala.net from 2009-10 to 2014-12 (then I moved to Fendo). It was developed especially to suit the needs of this website and the way I like to work. The result was so good, that I started using Simplilo in other websites of mine.
This is the way I love to work:
- I love editing content in plain text files with my favourite editor, Vim; simpler and faster than online web forms.
- I love working offline anywhere anytime, and then uploading the files by FTP.
- I love not needing databases, SQL or whatever; they add a huge layer of complexity and problems.
- I love the WikiCreole standard.
- I love programming engine extensions simply and easy, freely usable in the website pages.
- Written in PHP.
- No database needed.
- Pages are stored in plain text files, uploadable by FTP (an optional and independent web interface is under development).
- WikiCreole syntax.
- Simple, flexible and powerful page metadata.
- Content and search cache.
- Focused on multilingual sites.
- Versatile syntax extensions; easy to program and configure.
- Several addons for specific needs, easy to configure and adapt.
- Most of the configuration is done in text files; no PHP has to be edited.
The current version of Simplilo is A-08 (still alpha), but it's very stable. The code will be published when the first beta version (B-00) is reached.
What does the name Simplilo means?
" Simplilo" is a compound word in the Esperanto language. It consists of the following components:
- simpl-: the root of the adjective "simpla", simple.
- -il-: a suffix that means "tool".
- -o: the ending for nouns.
So" Simplilo" could be translated "tool of simplicity".